On 23 November 2014 at 11:29, Dmitry Shachnev <mity...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In GNOME Flashback, we are experiencing a strange bug with Upstart user
> sessions.
>
> When our session name (gnome-flashback-metacity) is in /etc/upstart-xsessions,
> lightdm doesn't even attempt to start the application from session file's
> Exec:
> field.

What else do you expect to start? Something like gnome-session? Check
the start on conditions for gnome-session job, and check the xsession
job.
A useful thing would be output of the running jobs / job summary.

The upstart user session file should be somewhere in
/run/user/$ID/upstart/sessions/$PID.session

Cat that file, export the UPSTART_SESSION variable into your terminal
(e.g. on a tty1 login)

And then run:
$ initctl list

And

$ initctl2dot

to generate a graph of things that are starting. Compare that with
working utopic install vs non-working vivid install.

If one renames a session, it's session file-name should also be
changed, I think. And there might be other places where it is encoded.

> Instead, it looks like it spawns `upstart --user' and nothing else (the
> relevant
> piece of `ps axf' is attached). From the user's point of view, the system
> hangs with LightDM background on the screen.
>
> When commenting out the session name from /etc/upstart-xsessions, it starts
> /usr/lib/gnome-flashback/gnome-flashback-metacity as it should.
>
> When I start a minimal X environment and execute `upstart --user --verbose'
> from there, I don't see any error messages, just normal log.
>
> I should also add that everything worked fine in Utopic. In Vivid, we recently
> changed the sessions names, and after fixing their names in upstart-xsessions
> got the problem.
>
> Can anyone suggest me what can cause the issue, and how can I debug it?
>
> --
> Dmitry Shachnev
>
> Please keep me CC-ed as I am not subscribed to the list.
> --

Regards,

Dimitri.