I am cross-posting my question from StackOverflow regarding compilation of
upstart
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38457854/upstart-causes-kernel-panic-on-embedded-linux):
I am using `ptxdist` to create kernel and rootfs images for a Linux embedded
system, running on an ARM Cortex A8 CPU.
I was trying to use a newer compiler (GCC 5+) and so was forced to upgrade
several external packages that would not compile under the new GCC.
I compiled the following versions of Upstart and its immediate dependencies:
    upstart: 1.13.2      libnih: 1.0.3      dbus: 1.11.2      json-c: 0.12.1
When I boot, I get the following message:
    init: com.ubuntu.Upstart.c:3525: Assertion failed in
control_emit_event_emitted: env != NULL    init: Caught abort, core dumped
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000600
Searching online did not yield useful hints - [the only relevant issue I found
is this - https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/1161329/, but it is relevant
to an older version of Upstart, and my libnih is of the correct version already.