Let me restate the proposition with more clarity. I envision a standard and
secure Apple utility or app where the user selects a device, port or socket, a
driver (with a prompt for the recommended driver), a codec or encoder, and a
second device, socket, port or file. For a device, socket or port, selection
would be made for 'transmit' or 'receive' or 'both' while for a file, even
though the codec could be binary, text, or various other options, either
'transmit' (read) or 'receive' (write), but not 'both' could be selected. The
app or utility, in turn, ought to be scriptable with AppleScript.

What are the technical or security concerns or objections?

Sent from my iPad