>Easily testing a mouse or keyboard for broken keys or broken circuitry
>(transferring to a file, for example) is one example which is not too silly
>for many users. And with growing popularity of robotics cards, automation
>devices (for home and business), and device development, checking data
>transfer capability is critical in a growing number of cases.
>
>Currently, the most popular use would be checking and arranging for audio and
>video, especially live video, transfers as well as piping data from input
>streams to output devices. The cause of any issues in quality of transmission
>for any data could be easily identified by the typical user.
>
>Problems that originate from firmware compatibility (which are also bound to
>be increasing) could be easily identified rather than practically impossible
>to identify.
>
>The space for practical interchanging of drivers for most users would open the
>way for standardization of chips and drivers.

Mark,

you come across as a person with superficial understanding of the concepts you
talk about and I'm pretty sure most of the people on this list (which by the way
is not a list that 'Apple' reads or monitors) think that what you dreaming about
is totally unrealistic and not feasible at all.

Sorry if that is a wrong  interpretation of you.

For example, a mouse or keyboard testing by piping it to a file does not work
cause a mouse sends x,y movement data in binary form and a keyboard sends
scan codes in binary form which is not human readable as such.

So maybe you are envisioning that an 'encoder' would be needed/created.
Possibly, but this would only be usable for that particular use case,
would not be a good way to test those devices and would be beyond the
knowhow of most users.

As to vide or audio, what you describes as 'stream' is very complex interaction
between servers and clients and if you could observer it your could not
make heads or tails of it. At least in theory it would be possible to
come up with some kind of encoder again but again this would only be usable
for that particular use case, would not be a good way to test those devices
and would be beyond the knowhow of most users.

All of that is already addressed by current tools and there is no reason to
believe that anything along the lines you describe would in anyway solve
any issues not already covered and/or solve them better.

I would classify your proposal as wishful thinking based on superficial
understanding of the technology and casual observations of perceived
problems with current technology and existing solutions.

I don't think this discussion is going anywhere so I just sign off.

wbr Kusti