OK, figured this out Trevor. I forgot that I have a frontScript menuPick handler that does some stuff which could result in the datagrid being updated. I have a global that controls some of that stuff and once I set it appropriately, all works perfectly. Thanks for putting me on the right path.

Still trying to track down the other problem with doub display of data.

Pete Haworth