Todd Geist wrote:

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
For example, you can call the numToChar function using either of these two
forms:

 numToChar(128)
 the numToChar of 128

Meanwhile, the sum function can only be called using function syntax:

 sum(1,2,3) -- works
 the sum of "1,2,3" -- throws an error

Is there a pattern at all in when one is form is not allowed?

In the example you gave, the sum function takes a list of numbers, where the
numToChar takes a single item.

There may be a pattern; I'm sure it made sense to whomever came up with that "sometimes" rule at the time.

But for myself the problem is easily worked around: I usually just ignore the capability of using property syntax for function calls.

I find it much clearer to read code in which functions are called using function syntax and properties are accessed using property syntax.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World