On 6/10/11 8:21 PM, Jim Ault wrote:

The () parens are telling the engine to capture any chars that meet the
conditions inside and assign them to the first variable specified. In
this case, it is 'retVal'
If there were a second set of (), then those chars would be assigned to
the second variable specified.

Good explantion, I like when regex gets explained. But what I don't get is how come the first set of parentheses aren't put into the variable:

  get matchText(tEthernetConfig,"(?s)inet (.*?) ",retVal)

The LC engine ignores the "(?s)". That's good and as it should be, but I'm not sure why.