eheheheheh let me throw this hack in here and run

function davidsMerge pText

  replace "[[" with "[safe[" in pText

  replace "]]" with "]safe]" in pText

  replace "{{" with "[[" in pText

  replace "}}" with "]]" in pText

  get the merge of pText

  replace "[safe[" with "[[" in it

  replace "]safe]" with "]]" in it

  return it

end davidsMerge

Done!

On 18/01/2019 08:01, David Bovill via use-livecode wrote:
I would love to be able to change the characters that merge uses -
especially from “[[..]]” to “{{...}}”.

Quite a lot of templating uses curly brackets - and I especially want to
use it for wiki style templates which can’t use square brackets as they are
used for internal links.

Not sure of the most elegant syntax, but we could add some Paramus without
breaking anything.