On 2019-06-11 02:44, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:
on mouseup
   local tName, t1, t2
   put the long name of fld "F" into tName
   put tName & ",12,13" into t1
   put "t1" && t1 &CR after msg

   put item 1 of t1 into t2
   set the vis of t2 to TRUE
   put "t2 was OK" &CR after msg

   set the vis of (item 1 of t1) to TRUE
   put "using parens OK" &CR after msg

   set the vis of item 1 of t1 to TRUE       -- this line fails !!
   put "here" &CR after msg

end mouseup
that line fails, with the error message

button "Button": execution error at line 14 (Chunk: error in object expression) near "field "F" of group id 1005 of group id 1007 of card id 1002 of stack "/Users/alextweedly/Dropbox (Personal)/Apps/objectchunk.livecode"

I just cant see why that doesn't work :-)

If I use parentheses, or if copy the first item over to a different
variable), then it is all OK. But doing it directly (AFAICT) should
work, and doesn't. What am I misunderstanding ?

The engine assumes that if you are manipulating a property of a string chunk, then you want to manipulate the part of the target object the string chunk describes, and not dereference the chunk as an object to set the property on.

i.e. in the case above the failing line is attempting to set the visible property of the first item of the content of control referenced with chunk "<long name>,12,13" -- and the latter is not a valid control chunk.

Warmest Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/