:)
1. Jacque is very confused too, but is afraid of big sticks.
2. Encoding should be identical throughout. I'm working with a large text block, pulling out sections to create a list. All data is retrieved from othe same variable, which is UTF16 native LC text. 3. The metadata is only set at the "paragraph" level, which I need instead of "line" because there is a soft return in each entry. 4. I did try to textDecode the metadata, but since it was already decoded in the source, decoding came out as garbage. I even tried encoding it too, knowing it wouldn't work, and I was right.

Solution: urlEncode the metadata before merging, and urlDecode after retrieval. When my example is urlEncoded it becomes a simple string:
PP04_The+%D2Mystery%D3+of+Marriage

I suppose anything that makes ascii out of the text would work, like base64.