According to the Dictionary, if I am reading it correctly, in a command (vs function)

return empty -- sets both 'it' and 'the result' to the parameter of the return statement (in this case empty) return empty for value -- sets 'it' to the parameter (empty) and clears 'the result' indicating no error (empty) return empty for error -- set 'the result' to the parameter (empty) and clears 'it' (empty) indicating no value returned from the command

So, yes, "return empty" will do, but I choose to use "return empty for error" to remind me that it is purposefully 'the result' that I wanted to clear.