I'm less than convinced by the crowdfunding ideas that have been mentioned so far. But there is something that is important to understand:

1. All Kickstarter campaigns are 'all-or-nothing.' From the Kickstarter FAQ: "No one will be charged for a pledge towards a project unless it reaches its funding goal."

2. Indiegogo campaigns are EITHER 'flexible funding' (the money is taken whether or not the goal was reached) OR 'fixed funding' (the same as Kickstarter).

Whether or not a crowdfunding angle is a good idea is a different issue. I just wanted to clarify the point about campaign goals and funding levels.