I'm not sure why this is, but I think it's because the datagrid library does
something internernally that triggers another selectionChanged, causing an
infiinite loop, forcing the engine to bail out.

Yes, that's what I would expect. Selecting different data *should* cause another selectionChanged event.

Any ideas?

on selectionChanged
      put the dgHilitedIndex of me into tHilitedIndex
      put the dgDataOfIndex [tHilitedIndex] of me into aDGData [1]
      lock messages
      set the dgData of me to aDGData
      unlock messages
end selectionChanged