On 2020-02-18 19:14, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys, both Hermann and Mark, and Bernd who sent
me materials offline. I'll be going over these suggestions to see what
works best. The file content can be very long especially when
separated into runs (more than 200,000 runs for an average file) so
speed will matter since this is headed for a mobile app.

I was surprised to see two things:

1. FormattedStyledText appears nowhere in the dictionary. I didn't
know it existed.

Heh - I'd actually forgotten about it until a couple of weeks ago when I had to write some code to independently process the each soft-wrapped line of styled text in a field.

I half wrote some code to do what I wanted in a different way while wishing 'if only I had implemented the formatted variant for styledText wayback when' - then I happily remembered that I had!

If you have a moment to file an report in the QC, we can get it added.

2. FormattedStyledText treats some punctuation as a new run, even if
it has not changed text style. For example, semi-colons are
independent runs. Very odd.

Hmmm - there's no code to do that explicitly (a semi-colon is no different from any other char!). Non-merged style runs can occur through some script operations on a field though (the engine uses 0 length runs sometimes as markers - they would probably cause that effect). It could also be due to the structure of the htmlText being imported (potentially). If you have a simple example, then I can probably say one way or the other.

The formattedStyledText, like the styledText, is just a array version of the data-structure the engine holds inside (although it never emits 0 length runs).

In this case that shouldn't matter though as it will be the text that you want to count, not the runs.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/