William Prothero wrote:

> I’m back working on an educational app teaching plate tectonics.
> When I think of pitfalls of distributing an actual app, I fondly
> look at web distribution, like I used to be able to do with Director
> in shockwave.

Shockwave made many things about deployment simpler, but still required a one-time download and install.

We can do this with LC so very easily, I'm surprised more people don't take advantage of it.

I'm with you: deploying standalones for every little change is a time-eating drag. So I stopped doing it years ago.

The standalones I deliver download updates from my server, so just like in a browser the user always has not only the latest data, but also the latest UI and underlying code.

Sure, this means the user has a one-time download. But it's only one time, and they get a fully native app experience, with OS integration far beyond the limitations of a browser, and a UI completely dedicated to the app's task.

I've had apps in the field for many years where I've delivered several dozen upgrades without ever needing to update the standalone, all with downloaded stack files.

I like browsers for many things, and for content-driven works it's my first choice (mostly for strategy reasons rather than techincal). But for serious work I prefer a dedicated native app. My customers tell me they do too, and I've heard that from other devs about their customer feedback.

No one wants the endless tedium of updating standalones, neither the user or us developers. But by decoupling the standalone from the stack files it uses, we can update those so quickly and easily the user never even needs to know it's happening.

Have you considered a standalone that updates its stack files via HTTP?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems