The app I’m developing runs continuously once launched, recording quantities
such as the elepsed time and sensor data. In the version I’ve managed to load
into my phone (thanks, Panos!) it does this quite efficiently, but if the phone
locks or another app is launched, my app stops running and apparently quits. It
quits in good order and can be restarted with cached data from the last run,
but it doesn’t continue to run in the background. It does seem to be still in
the machine, as one can see it among the currently loaded apps, but if I bring
it back to the front, I see the splash screen, and it restarts.

I want my app to continues to run in the background unless it’s explicitly
stopped. Existing apps can do it, typically sports apps like Strava, which
records information which needs constant updating such as distance travelled.
But I don’t know how.

I notice in the Standalone Settings for iOS in LC 9.5.1, a button ‘Background
Execution’. If I click it, I get a warning that I don’t really understand which
suggests that LC doesn’t officially support the feature. I’m not even sure if
this feature is what I need.

Has anyone produced a mobile app that runs in the background? Or should I be
asking LC Support about this?

Graham

PS - Klaus, if your name appears as part of the ‘to’ address of this mail, it’s
unintentional, and sue to a quirk of Mac mail. I apologise.