Children,

As you all remember, I did a lot of work with a certain nation-wide restaurant
chain <https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/restaurant-name-trnd/index.html> in
the 80s. I ate cherry pancakes at over 300 locations - including the original
in Santa Barbara. I knew both “Sam” and “Bo”.

Back then the company fought fiercely to protect the name - which was composed
of the founders: Sam Battistone and Newell “Bo” Bohnet. They pointed out,
correctly, that “Little Black Sambo” was Indian, not African. And it was
obvious that most protesters had not “read” the book.

Yet, recognizing that in our fact-free age, image counts a lot, the kids have
made a good move. I think Sam and Bo would understand.

Suddenly I’m hungry for cherry pancakes… Road Trip to Santa Barbara, anyone?

Dad