On 9/22/20 3:48 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
I have a stack with an index. When a user clicks a line, a handler uses the clicktext to create a file name which is always the clicktext plus the ".livecode" extension. The stack is then downloaded from an AWS server and displayed.

We are now translating some stacks to other languages which require unicode text. AWS recommends not using accented characters in file names, so we need to translate the clicktext into plain ASCII.

Is there a good way to do that without using a lookup table or metadata? The file names doesn't need to make sense syntactically. For example,

    l’Académie française -> lAcademiefrancaise.livecode

...or similar, whatever works. The user will never see the file name.

Is this just a temporary filename (not long-term storage)?
In that case why use the clicktext at all?
Can you use tempname() to create and retrieve the stack?
Or better yet uuid()?

--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftw...@gmail.com