Thank you all for your advice.  Jacque, normalizeText() was what I had vaguely
remembered but couldn’t find.

Richmond, I am working on a library that removes emojis from text and replaces
them with imageSource... so that the text can be printed to PDF on mobile. You
are correct about the “going blue in the face” bit. And I’m pretty sure what
I’m doing is just one step up from nothing.

— Scott