On 12/17/20 8:29 AM, Sean Cole (Pi) via use-livecode wrote:
Hi all,

Continuing my study on Linux alternatives, I've just tried installing
LC9.6.2RC onto the latest Debian 10 (buster) build (clean install in
Parallels from its add VM page). However, it comes up with an error when
installing LC right after double-clicking the installer: "Failed to load
library 'gdk' (tried libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0)". Debian 10 has Gtk 3.x
installed. Is this the problem? Do I need to go back a build to Debian 9?
Or can I still install on 10 somehow with a tweak?

Sean-

Don't know about Parallels. I just loaded the latest debian build onto a 15GB virtualbox VM, downloaded the latest stable LC, and installed. Had to restart the system in order for LiveCode to show up in the menu, but other than that no problems. I could launch from a commandline or after the restart from the menu. I installed debian using the semi-automated installer, which by default is using cinnamon as its desktop manager. I did have to fiddle with the display resolution to get the whole menubar on screen, but that's a virtualbox/debian thing and not LC.

Note that debian 10 is the only debian version that hasn't reached an end of life (and therefore no updates), so I wouldn't waste time trying earlier versions if you're putting something into production.

...and to correct my earlier statement, I revisited the docs and I see

"The x86-64 and x86 Linux build environments used for compiling LiveCode are based on Debian Wheezy."

--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftw...@gmail.com