On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 7:02 AM Dan Brown via use-livecode <
use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> Hi I'm stuck trying to find examples of passing lcs strings to a C function
> via pointer and it's driving me mad! I can retrieve char * pointers from C
> functions, convert to string and pass back to lcs but haven't come across
> any easy to grok examples of sending data to C. Any guidance would be
> appreciated

I've used MCStringConvertToBytes to convert strings to a value you can pass
in as const char*. I have a hunspell example you can reference.

Here is a link to the Hunspell_spell definition:

https://github.com/hunspell/hunspell/blob/8a2fdfe5a6bb1cbafc04b0c8486abcefd17ad903/src/hunspell/hunspell.h#L69

```
LIBHUNSPELL_DLL_EXPORTED int Hunspell_spell(Hunhandle* pHunspell, const
char*);
```

Here is a link to the LCB code that passes a UTF8 string to Hunspell_spell:

https://github.com/trevordevore/lc-hunspell/blob/master/hunspell.lcb#L150

Here is a link to the MCStringConvertToBytes definition in the LCB file:

https://github.com/trevordevore/lc-hunspell/blob/master/hunspell.lcb#L19

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps