@Panos: Progress. I now know why a login dialog was not showing up and why a channel wasn't created.

The command "mobileStoreMakePurchase" absolutely requires three parameters. I omitted the payload string (third param) because I didn't need it and it wasn't required for iOS. I assumed it would be empty and treated accordingly. It isn't.

If the third param is omitted, the script compiles okay but apparently aborts with no error message and no information when the app runs on the device. There is no clue why nothing is happening. On the off chance that was the problem I add the string "payload here" and bingo, I got the App Store login dialog.

I am still not getting any status reports in purchaseStateUpdate and the purchase times out. But at least I'm logged in now.

Suggestion: if a third param is missing, LC should throw an error at runtime.
We'd all be saner.