> On Oct 7, 2021, at 5:28 PM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
> <use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> As I said, this isn't anything to do with 'Save As' specifically - 'Save As'
> is doing precisely what you would expect... i.e. Saving the stackfile to a
> different file, and just as when you do that in any other application the
> filename of the stack changes to be the new filename.

Hi Mark,

This has often puzzled me, but when I use 'Save As’ most of the time this
leaves me with 2 stacks in memory, which, if both have the same DG in them, is
sort of a no-no situation in LC (the IDE cannot distinguish between 2 stacks
with the same name etc...). Here’s my workflow: generally I append a sequential
number anytime I am going to attempt something new or substantial, so I can
easily rollback. Say I am working on VER50. I decide to add a new feature but
think I may screw it up. In VER50 I rename the stack to VER51 (change the stack
name) and then save it using 'Save As' as VER51 (usually in a new folder). In
such a scenario I would expect to have 1 stack in memory, now called VER51. But
I don’t. I have 2 identical stacks (same # of script lines) one named VER50 and
another named VER51. To avoid potential cross contamination I have to quit LC
and restart with VER51.

OR, I could do as Jacque suggests and quit LC, copy VER50 to VER51 on disk and
then open VER51. Either way requires quitting and relaunching LC. But, if I was
in MS Word and copied an open file from VER50 to VER51 and looked under the
Window menu I would see only 1 file named VER51. VER50 is safely tucked away,
ne'er to be effected if I screw up 51. I’m not sure if there is a good reason
why LC behaves differently.

Mark