On 1/1/22 11:30 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
I’ve been looking at the exchange of messages here which had made me
want to ask, why are you sorting cards at all?

Wouldn’t it be easier just to use array pointers or an index for the cards.
You can sort the pointers however you like and the cards never have to
move at all according to your sort.  You can do all of your sorting
experiments that way, and just go to the correct card that your
pointer index tells you to go to.  It might be quicker too.

In hindsight, you bet. This was one of those jobs I thought would take a day or so, squeezed in over a weekend between my long-term project. A quick export/import, minor visual adjustments, and done. The existing scripts were minimal, mostly one-liners dating back to a novice using HC. In fact, the only scripts I actually added were to convert some duplicate buttons to popups and adjust for Cmd-F so it would work the way he was used to instead of opening the LC Find dialog.

And mostly it did work, thanks to LC's compatibility. I hadn't planned on doing anything major and bid as such. If I'd known ahead of time there was going to be a problem I might have set up an alternate method to start with.

But then my curiosity took over, so I posted here and now it's a puzzle to be solved. When that happens I find it hard to let go. If no here can figure it out I'll probably fix it off the clock and write off the time.