With the caveat that I know nothing about it, the normalize and formSensitive functions sound related.

On 2/28/22 11:50 AM, Ben Rubinstein via use-livecode wrote:
I'm trying to extract text from an Oracle database, via ODBC, on Windows. (Using the 64 bit "Oracle in instantclient_19_5".)

Generally fine, except that where the text contains Unicode characters beyond the Windows Latin1/CP512 character set, I'm not getting them.

I'm not getting random garbage; I'm getting a sensible transliteration, e.g. "n" for "ň" (n-caron). So this isn't simply getting the bytes and misinterpreting them.

Per https://community.oracle.com/tech/apps-infra/discussion/2424496/issue-with-character-set-conversion-using-oracle-odbc-client,

The conversion for the ODBC driver is performed by OCI to/from UTF-16 and
it is independent of the NLS_LANG character set. If the C++ application is
written in the ANSI mode (does not use wide character data types),
Microsoft ODBC Manager will convert between the application and the Oracle
ODBC driver, between system code page (Cp 1252) and UTF-16.

The ODBC driver has a checkbox "Force SQL_WCHAR Support". I've tried both settings of this checkbox. Depending on the setting, I have to take a different approach to retrieving the data in order not to get garbage (passing a variable name to revDatabaseColumnNumbered and then using uniDecode). But when I don't get garbage, I also don't get the characters with diacritics - but I do get the correct character.

Does anyone have experience of this? Do I need to modify the SQL Select statement in some way to get the correct version of the data?

TIA,

Ben