Thanks Mark - works. I could have sworn I'd tried "line" earlier when attempting to set the backgroundColor, and when it failed was when I switched to trying "paragraph". But it works now so I don't mind being mistaken.

Oddly, "paragraph" appears to be synonymous with "line" for the borderWidth, borderColor, firstIndent, leftIndent, textAlign, spaceAbove, hGrid, vGrid, and tabs paragraph properties.

Near as I can tell backgroundColor is the only paragraph properties where the "paragraph" chunk type isn't synonymous.

Should it be? I'm good either way now that I have a solution, but if it would be helpful I could file a bug report/enhancement request.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems