You can find the definition of both send and dispatch in the dictionary.

So an example of Dispatch being called from a card of a substack would be:

put the long id of me into tParentCard
dispatch extract to card "Main" of stack "Forms Generator" with tRecordA,
tParentCard, tExclusions

-- if however extract is in the message path for everything, such as in a
library or back/front script, dispatch is not needed
-- but there's nothing wrong with using it
extract tRecordA, tParentCard, tExclusions

-- aRecordData is an array you want to populate with the field contents of
pParentCard
-- pParentCard is the long id of the target card containing field, button and
menu objects
-- pExclusions is a comma delimited list of object names you want to pass over

on extract @aRecordData, pParentCard, pExclusions
   -- store object values in aRecordData
   put the text of field "fldCustomerName" of pParentCard into aRecordData
["customername"]
   put the hilited of button "btnActive" of pParentCard into aRecordData
["active"]
   put the label of button "mnuCategories" of pParentCard into aRecordData
["category"]
   -- no need to return anything in this example because aRecordData is passed
by reference
end extract

Bob S