Bob Sneidar wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2022, at 19:51 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> The team worked hard in v9 to deliver font management in a way that
>> makes it easier than ever to deliver apps that meet user expectations
>> and OS design specs on the platforms deployed to.  Mac looks like
>> Mac, Win looks like Win, all with one font setting.
>> So help me understand: what are you working on where a user expects
>> fine-grained font rendering consistency on multiple OSes? What do
>> these apps do?
>>
>> Do your users switch OSes during a session, or work on Windows by day
>> and Mac at night?  How many also use Linux in that multi-OS workflow?
>

> For me it's simple. I want the same baseline and alignment on two
> platforms I work with, MacOS and Windows, when using an embedded font.
> ...I just want a label that has the width and height auto fitted on a
> Mac to not be cut off on Windows.

Thanks. I can see that, esp. since the HIGs for Mac and Win specify different font sizes.

I've been including a little extra space to allow for that, and with alignment set well (left-aligned for full-row headers, right-aligned per HIG for form field labels) it's been working well enough.

But this suggestion may help with some layouts:

> Perhaps what would be useful is if there was an Autofit property for
> fields that would adjust the width and height of a field, instead of
> having to manually do it. Otherwise I can do it programmatically.

It would be more convenient to have a property to set the width to the formattedWidth, but it raises another question: what do you do with the space saved?

That is, if the layout it too tight to allow some extra space in a label field to accommodate the different HIG specs for each platform, when a field is automatically readjusted as proposed then wouldn't you also need to adjust surrounding controls to take advantage of the change?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems