It could be a corrupted font cache - I’ve found that can cause weird behavior
as you’re describing. If you’re on a Mac, do a “safe reboot” (start up with the
shift key pressed) and after it boots up, do a normal reboot. That will delete
the current font caches and then rebuild them from scratch. It’s little harder
to fix on Windows - if that is the case you might Google that.

Worth a try anyway.

Marty