On 2023-11-03 20:21, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
You do make a good point about the documentation regarding custom properties. Assuming people read the documentation. At the same time, you used to be able to use commas in custom property names. As Curry noted, Livecode even used to use them in the standalone setting properties, so the mothership set a precedence.

The user guide's comments are really good advice *if* you want to access your custom properties with `the X of` syntax - it is *this* kind of access which is *not* possible if the custom property name is not an identifier (i.e. something you can use as a variable or handler name). (Remember that you can set the 'current' custom property set of an object and use `the X of` syntax to access the keys of that too - and if you do that, then any non-identifier keys are similarly not accessible).

So we haven't set a precedent by using commas in custom property names - its in a custom property set *and* they are never accessed via `the X of` syntax (only via `the SET[X] of` syntax) - and with such things (where you are using the custom property set as an array of data) I don't think the rule applies.

It's not really a problem since I can do updates by script. It is more of just an annoyance.

I agree its an annoyance - and is something which is resolvable (i.e. by adding a variant of the hilitedElement property of the treeview with one which returns a sequence rather than a string).

Feel free to file a bug report about it and we'll put it on the list to look at.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/