On 09/29/2011 12:27 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
I just created a PDF with two lines of text and a 16x16 graphic and
following text. A very basic test pattern.   Then I opened up the document
in BBEdit.

Yikes!   A huge amount of data is there - some binary and some plain text
for such simple data. A minefield of fun and a big project to work with.

Here's the specs ( a large PDF document) right from the source.     PDF
SPECS
DOCUMENT<http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/PDFReference.pdf>

Good luck.

But it should certainly be doable. In fact, File Juicer does it. It's Mac software, but it is an example of exactly what is being discussed. It might be a lot of work, but clearly it's not a hopeless task :)

Best,

Warren