I'm trying to understand behaviors so as to be more adept at using them.

I've examined the scripts of the datagrid library, which give much cause for wonderment.

the private command_initialize

we see references like:

set the borderwidth of scrollbar "dgHScrollbar" of group "dgHorizontalComponents" of me

but all these scripts are in a button "data grid"

So I am trying to understand what "me" references.

In order for there to be a scrollbar of a group of "me" , "me" would have to refer to a card
or "bigger" parent group, or stack.

Did I get that right?

I am trying to understand how to reference controls "adjacent" to the child object of a parent behavior.

e.g. main stack/card 1/field "SymbolName"
main stack/card 1/btn "Dog" # with behavior set to the long id of button below:

substack ("behaviorVault")/button "showName # used as a behavior for btn "Dog"
(and other buttons on the same card)

Now, in the behavior button I want to refer to objects on the card with the child buttons
that use that behavior... so I'm trying to determine best practices.

When I click on a button on the main card, I want the name of the button
to pass to a field and the field to be shown, kind of like a tool tip of sorts

this button is in a substack, but the child buttons and other field is on card 1 of the main stack
A simple reference fails...

on mouseUp
   put the loc of the target into tPosition
   put the shortname of the target into tName
   put tName # it works... I get "Dog"
   put tName into fld "symbolName" # fails
set the loc of fld "SymbolName" to tPosition # fails; reference is not explicit enough show fld "symbolName" with visual effect dissolve # fails; reference is not explicit enough
   send "hideName" to me in 5 seconds
end mouseUp

on hideName
hide fld "symbolName" with visual effect dissolve # fails; reference is not explicit enough
end hideName

I guess I can set the defaultstack to the main stack but I just wanted to check if there is another way to establish the "card context" of the child objects, in the behavior script of those child objects. It seemed from the data grid stack that "of me" would could work, but a fld on the same card is not a property of an adjacent button (whose behavior is on another stack/card)

Sivakatirswami

Om Shanti
Sivakatirswami

Kauai Aadheenam