I am working on a project that is going to manipulating records of data.  What
is the best approach to identifying the individual components for use in
different scripts?

If the data was represented as some delimited string, then each item could be
defined as a constant.  The question would then be how to manage these
constants in multiple scripts.  I have not found any references to include
files, which was my first thought.

if the data was represented in an array these solves the ability to reference
the items easily enough but then I assume that you would have to create some
special code to format the code in the correct order for consistent input or
output ordering

I see when using SQL there is an option of identifying each data element
separately, but if you use the array syntax you seem to have the same problem
as a delimited string where you need to define constants to define element
numbers.

Can anyone provide any sage wisdom from the school of hard knocks?

Thanks
   Mike