Mark Schonewille wrote:

> On 5 dec 2011, at 16:53, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Agreed.  Please note that I didn't make a feature request, just
>> wondering if one can trap existing messages/properties to prevent
>> this undocumented behavior.
>

> You can set the cantSelect of objects to true. That should solve
> it in most cases, unless... you have a picture that needs to be
> selectable :-)

Indeed, there's the rub. ;)

There are sometimes unexpected-but-fully-understandable side-effects with using the cantSelect property, but very useful for certain things like using a graphic at the back of a drawing group to catch drag-and-drop messages.

Someday I'll get around to finishing my port of SuperCard's SampleDraw example app in LC to illustrate this sort of thing.

While I occasionally complain about some of the nuances with the differences between SC and LC pointer tool behaviors, in all fairness I have to admit that having groups with the option of turning off their selectGroupedControls, coupled with having a scrolling group that can occupy only part of a window rather than require the whole window, makes some aspects of creating custom drawing environments in LC much more powerful than anything I've used before.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World