Hey Pete,
Eric Chatonet had a stack named "Modifying Card Dimensions" that showed how to do that (I thought) but in trying it just now on LC 5 it doesn't seem to work. And I noticed that his www.SoSmartSoftware.com web site is no longer up (sadly, he passed away a few years ago). I have the stack if you'd like to see it and maybe you could figure out why it's not working.

Marty Knapp
What is the technique for making a change in stack height  a smooth
transition?  Not a very good descriptions I guess but as an example, I'm
looking at what happens in the Tools palette when you go back and forth
between the various tabs.

Thanks,