On 07/02/2012 05:14, J. Landman Gay wrote:
On 2/6/12 8:40 PM, gcanyon+rev wrote:
One thing that stands out (which has been mentioned in previous
articles numerous times) is how far behind most Android-based phones
are on their OS updates. Three-fourths of android phones are two
major versions behind. The main fault lies with the carriers, who
customize Android and don't bother to update their customizations.

By comparison, the last time I read about this, the number of iPhones
on the latest OS version was over 95%.

Very true, and I don't see much hope for improvement. On the other hand,
it's pretty much expected you'll jailbreak an Android tablet so people
update that way.

One of the first things I do when I get an android device is to check and see what ROMs are available for it.

The way I see it, all the carriers /should/ be paying money to Cyanogenmod (or some after-market hacker) to provide all the updates for Android devices. That way the market would all update at the same time, and we'd have better answers about when devices would be updated.

(It won't happen because there's not a *huge* outcry for such a thing...and because I suspect carriers don't want cyanogen devices on their network that don't include their restrictions...but it'd sure be nice.)

-Ken