On 03/14/2012 12:25 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
On 03/14/2012 11:42 AM, Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
continued frustration. Result was "website cannot be found". (sigh!)
Thanks anyway! Just not my day. My vision is poorer than usual today.
Joe Wilkins

That seems odd. You can edit the prefs files directly in a text editor.
It's not difficult or scary. You need to know where your profile is and
which one if there are more than one. This may help:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder
http://gemal.dk/mozilla/profile.html

MAKE SURE FIREFOX IS NOT OPEN WHILE YOU DO EDIT THE FILE!!!

Once you've found your profile directory, open the file called prefs.js
in your favorite text editor. Search for
"browser.search.defaultenginename". You want that line to look this way:

user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Google");

You may also have a file called user.js Check that to make sure it
doesn't have anything that conflicts with this.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file

Good luck :)

Warren

I should have tried this before I wrote. There are two lines that need to be checked:

user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Google");
user_pref("browser.search.defaulturl", "http://www.google.com/";);

I'm not sure why, but it's not working here as simply as it should. Set this in prefs.js and for good measure, also create a file "user.js" in this same folder and add these lines to it:

# my search engine preference
user_pref("browser.search.defaultenginename", "Google");
user_pref("browser.search.defaulturl", "http://www.google.com/";);

Good luck!

Warren