On 3/24/12 8:11 PM, dunb...@aol.com wrote:

I am aware of the ease in which one can accidentally change the name
of a stack in the inspector when you think you are typing somewhere
else. This is a bit insidious. But this was the pulldown to set the
mainstack. Though this property is settable by command, I am positive
I never did this.

I should have been more clear that the mixup doesn't just happen with the message box (which is why I ended up changing standalone settings for the wrong stack.) It also happens with the property inspector or any other IDE component that needs to look for a topstack. In my case, the working stack was modeless and my utility stack was invisible but toplevel. The utility stack had precedence in this case and not only the standalone settings dialog, but also all property inspectors, were targeting my utility stack. I usually noticed the wrong name in the inspector but breezed right past it in the standalone settings.

If at any point your wonky stack was displayed at a lower mode than another stack, it would be the target stack for IDE tools. If you were trying to set the mainstack on a modeless or palette stack, and didn't notice your "corrupted" toplevel stack was the target, it would get its mainstack changed.

That may not be what happened in your case, but it's been biting me a lot lately. I've been working on a modeless stack and I always have my utility stack open too. I have to keep remembering to make my modeless stack toplevel.

Why this spurious mainstack reference makes all that trouble, is a
mystery to me.

I don't know why either, but it makes a sort of sense. If a piece of the message path is missing (the parent stack) then who knows what could short-circuit in the engine.