Dr. Hawkins wrote:
After many recent posts, I'm starting to wonder:  what does and
doesn't get complied in a standalone?

Several messages have suggested, if I'm reading them write, that the
main stack is compiled, while the others, even if password protected,
are interpreted at runtime.  Am I getting that right?

And if so, what is the performance hit?

So should all of the more intensive work be moved into routines in the
main stack?

No difference between mainstack made into an app and any other stack files used for code. And AFAIK no difference in execution speed between password-protected and non-protected scripts, though I haven't measured it in many years.

In the modern world with so many different types of compilers, determining exactly what "compile" means can be tricky.

My understanding of what LiveCode does is that it uses a two-pass compilation method, similar to many other high-level languages, in which a script is tokenized into a highly efficient bytecode format at runtime as objects are unpacked, and that bytecode is then run through the engine during execution.

Exceptions to this include "do", "send", "call", and "dispatch", which must be tokenized on the fly since they're effectively working with dynamic strings, which explains why those run so much slower than alternatives.

If anyone has more details beyond this I'd love to hear them.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World