Try:

local sOption

on thisHandler
  put the label of btn "myOptiionMenu" into sOption
end test

on otherHandler theta
  do "put the" && sOption && "of" && theta
end otherHandler

On 12/7/12 4:02 PM, Roger Guay wrote:
Thanks for your help, Paul. Your second script is more like what I need. BUT, I
need to capture the bare function to be used with angles that are derived from
some other script. Something like:

local  theTrigFctn

on thisHandler
  put the label of btn "myOptiionMenu" into tOption
  switch tOption
      case "sin"
         put sin into theTrigFctn  --- you can't do this
         break
      case "cos"
         put cos into theTrigFctn  --- you can't do this
         break
      case "tan"
         put tan into theTrigFctn  --- you can't do this
         break
   end switch
end thisHandler

on otherHandler theta
     put theTrigFctn(theta)
end otherHandler

Thanks again,
Roger

  put the label of btn "myOptiionMenu" into tOption
  switch tOption
      case "sin"
         put the sin of fld 1 into fld 2
         break