On 01/19/2013 11:51 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
On 1/19/13 9:16 PM, Warren Samples wrote:

For all practical purposes, the market is closed and developers really
do, as a practical observation, have to distribute through Apple in
order to reach the platform.

I think there will be third-party distributions for quite a while yet.
Apple can't prohibit outside apps on Macs because too many of them can't
be sandboxed. BBEdit is one of those, for example. So unless the rules
change, some software will always have to be side loaded. I do agree
though that new Mac users won't likely look elsewhere, but as they
become more experienced they might.

I'm still not happy with the situation, I don't like it at all. But I'm
not sure third-party installs will completely disappear either.

My comment was in reference to iOS devices.