Peter Haworth wrote:
Not returning them simply because they are not set is a step backwards.  If
there is a need for that, then let's have another form of "the properties"
that indicates that, perhaps, "the working properties" or "the effective
properties".

I like where you're going with that. It may also be helpful to be able to get a list of just the names, without the values, for a given object, similar to "the propertyNames" but limited to those relevant to the specified object:

  get the propertyNames [of <obj>]

Whenever I'm teaching someone new to the language, one of the first questions that comes up is "What properties are available for each object?"

Extending the propertyNames function this way helps, allowing us to make learning tools easily as well as inspectors and more.

In conjunction with Peter's proposal above to also return prop values, we'd have a pretty complete set of stuff that way.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems