On 7/8/13 6:42 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:
Thanks Klaus and Matthias.  I believe I got it working, and I think the
key phrase in my case was "start using stack xyzŠ"

I'm confused though, because the dictionary says if externals are manually
set for a stack via script, the stack must relaunched before LiveCode can
use the externals.  In my case, I am setting the externals of the
mainstack during preOpenCard, and it seems to be working, so I'm not sure
what's going on there.

But hey, I'm not going to question too much, out of fear of incurring the
wrath of the Gods of Failure.

I'm intimately familiar with those gods. Back in the day, the one exception to the "must relaunch stack" rule was that you could set externals in a startup handler, so that's what I've always done. It only works in a standalone, of course.

I'm not sure why yours works in preOpenCard, but maybe they changed the rules. Or maybe you are just blessed.