Ben's progress report in the latest newsletter includes some truly great additions, coming up faster than I'd thought would happen - thanks RunRev!

   Graphics Library
   Driven by Michael McCreary
   We have been working for some time on moving LiveCode's 2D rendering
   to use Skia, an open source library maintained by Google. The
   initial purpose for this project is to facilitate the rendering
   LiveCode stacks at any scale (Resolution independence). It is
   possible that we'll also see some rendering performance improvements
   but we'll only know once the project is complete.

   Progress report: This project is almost complete. The only remaining
   step is to hook in text rendering. The estimated release date of a
   test version for this is the end of August.

   Resolution Independence
   Driven by Ian MacPhail
   The aim of this project is to take away the need to LiveCode
   developers to do extra work when creating an app that is required
   to run on devices with different screen densities. For example,
   developers who write an app for the iPad2 (1024x768) currently have
   to manually upscale their objects, graphics and images by hand to
   support the iPad3 (2048x1532). With resolution independence,
   LiveCode will perform all this scaling automatically as well as
   selecting the appropriate density of image from your app bundle.
   Users will be able to create an app at one scale and let LiveCode
   scale it up or down to meet to density of the screen of the target
   device.

   Progress report: LiveCode can now display a stack at any scale on
   Mac and iOS! We are busy porting this to all platforms at the
   moment. The final step is to update the image object to select the
   appropriate density of image automatically.
   The estimated release of a test version for this project is the end
   of August.

<http://newsletters.livecode.com/july/issue153/newsletter1.php>

--
 Richard Gaskin