On 27/07/2013, at 6:15 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassa...@fourthworld.com> wrote:

>> Using ID is always the quickest way to access anything.
>
> Why is that?
>
> Mark, Monte - have you guys stumbled across how object references are
> resolved in the code base?

I haven't really looked into it but it makes sense that an integer comparison
will be faster than a string comparison. Objects are arranged internally as
doubly linked lists in the hierarchy of objects so to find the actual instance
it needs to iterate over the objects to find them and compare the id or name to
what's being looked for. There is also the id cache that was introduced a few
versions ago that keeps track of re-uses of ids and make them faster.

Cheers

--
Monte Goulding

mergExt - There's an external for that!