Roger Eller wrote:

> I am fascinated by the benchmarking scripts you have devised, but
> if the destinations are the same, why in the world would someone
> purposefully choose the moped to get there, especially when the
> jet plane is available?

It's hard to find parking for a jet. :)

Mopeds, cars, trucks, and even bicycles have useful roles among transportation options, each having its own strengths and weaknesses for a given task. I prefer using my bicycle for any trip under 5 miles, and frequently use it for 10 miles or more, but I wouldn't choose it when I need to get from Pasadena to Boston (though I once met a 65-year-old gentleman who did exactly that, but that's another story and he had lots of time on his hands <g>).

There are times when passing by reference is a really good thing to do, and times when it's not at all good idea, like if you need an altered output but also need to keep the original intact.

Similarly, "repeat for each" is much faster than "repeat with", but if you need to alter the chunk being parsed within the loop the former won't let you do that, since it's able to achieve its speed only by enforcing an assumption up front that the chunk won't change during the loop.

And sometimes we need to put before, and sometimes put after, and while it's conceivable the engine might be able to figure out our intentions to reverse the operation internally to use the faster form, no doubt there would be cases where it would guess wrong.

There are likely many ways the engine can be further optimized for ever-greater efficiency, just as Raney took the time so long ago to optimize the "put after" so that it no longer made a copy but did a resize instead.

But we can also expect there will always be a need for us to decide which algorithm best fits the problem at hand.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World