On 2/23/14, 4:30 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
I've just read that bit of the dictionary and I'm equally surprised.
I also think I  must have completely misunderstood it, because I
can't see how it can work. The value of a script local variable
(unless it's predefined using an '=' construction) is undefined until
a script is run, and is then only defined when an executing script
puts something into the variable. A script can only be run when the
program is executing. When the program containing the script quits,
any information in variables, global or local, is lost because one
can't normally save an executable stack outside the IDE (yes, I know
about splash stacks and such, but the principle is correct). So next
time the script is compiled, we **must** be back at square one, and
the value of local variables **cannot** be maintained. What's wrong
with this thinking?

Since I just discovered this, I'm trying to figure it out too. There must be a difference between declaring a constant and declaring a variable. So the only thing I can think of is that a script local variable can be altered by different handlers in the script, where a constant cannot. I.e., the value declaration is a starting point but isn't a fixed immutable value the way a constant is.

I haven't tried it yet, maybe someone else can confirm.