The challenge with this issue (of automatically sending an email from a given
computer) is that I need to offer the easiest, most compatible, and the safest
method to the user. The users of this app can range from a single computer home
user to a large corporation with many Macs installed.

To work for home users, the solution needs to be dead simple. Mail is installed
on every Mac. Almost every user can configure mail to send an outgoing message.
Using AppleScript to trigger an email runs so quickly that the user will rarely
see it happening. Yes, there will be a record of the email in their sent box.
But my app only sends an email when it identifies a problem with the users hard
drive or OS... so not worried about hiding anything.

I am still looking into the PHP script option for corporate users.

One alternative solution is to have my app pop up a notification on the users
desktop alerting them to the problem. This avoids the need to send an email
altogether. But I have been told that this solution is probably not acceptable
in a corporate environment.

Richard