On 02/04/14 14:41, Fraser Gordon wrote:
On 2 Apr 2014, at 12:30, Fraser Gordon <fraser.gor...@runrev.com> wrote:

On 2 Apr 2014, at 12:24, Richmond <richmondmathew...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have just been reading Fraser's seminal article here:

http://livecode.com/blog/2014/04/02/examining-unicode-part-ii-digesting-text/

and got all excited about "codepointProperty", but did not quite understand
"Diacritic",

Diacritics are the technical term for the accents and other bits that get attached to
letters. In terms of the codepointProperty function, the "Diacritic" property
returns true for diacritical characters and false otherwise.
Just noticed your post on the blog entry itself so sorry if I misunderstood
what you were asking about diacritics - the short answer is that the engine
looks up the information in the Unicode Character Database (which libICU
provides a nice interface to). It is this that has caused the expansion in the
size of the standalones in the DP (temporarily, we hope).

Regards,
Fraser

Thanks for that.

Re: Diacritics. While you are a real computer programmer (which I am most definitely not), I have an M.A. in Linguistics.

However, my problem was not with "Diacritic" as such, but the syntax of codepointProperty, and, wanting to "play around with it" to see how it worked, my 'natural' first stop was to have a look in 7.0's dictionary
(mind you, it may not be up-to-date).

Richmond.