Phil Jimmieson wrote:

Currently, if you save a stack with version 7 of LiveCode and try and open it
with version 6.6.1 (for example) you get the message:

"Unable to open stack: Stack is corrupted, check for ~ backup file."

Could Rev not get LiveCode to read the version number off the stack when it
tried to open it and report back a different message if you're trying to open a
stack that appears to come from a later, incompatible version of LiveCode. This
is especially important when we have so many versions of LiveCode that are
current and it is easy to make a mistake and save the stack with a test
version. Of course they can't retro-fit version 5 et al, but all the currently
in progress versions and any future versions could have this feature.  The
message you get could be something along the lines of:

"This stack cannot be opened by this version of LiveCode. It was most recently saved
by a version of LiveCode newer than this one."

That would help people figure out what the problem was…

What do people think?

I think you should submit that as a feature request. It would be very, very helpful, not only providing specific useful guidance but also for maintaining LC's good reputation with its robust file format.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World